A debate with Jesus

I find it odd that those who often grandstand their Christianity, force references to "God", "religion", and most importantly "Jesus" would be the least likely to elect him as their president. This mentality is not specifically reserved to the conservative right, but more often then not they are.


Just look at the issues of today. Conservative view on taxes is "the less the better." They believe they better know how to spend "their money". This is opposition of their champions teachings of modesty and giving to the poor. They value their wealth over love. The shun the pacifist teachings of Jesus. Revenge is on their breath like sin on the devil. Let us check in on the debate.


CNN Commentator: Jesus what is your stance on taxes.

Jesus: Since in the USA tax money is used to benefit the poor by way of welfare, Medicare, and public education, I recommend that all people give any wealth they do not need to the greater good. As I have said in the past, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

CNN Commentator: Jesus, many Americans feel it is their right to protect themselves from thieves with personal weapons. How do you feel about this belief?

Jesus: Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again. There is not reason to worry about earthly possessions. The possessions of the next world will be profound and fulfilling.


CNN Commentator: Jesus, do you feel there is ever a necessity to lie about issues of national security.

Jesus: My father’s commandments are clear. Bearing false witness is a sin and must be atoned for before entering into his kingdom.


CNN Commentator: We know you are against killing in general, but how about torture, or inhumane acts such as water boarding, sleep and warmth deprivation.

Jesus: It is commanded that we should do onto other as we would have done onto ourselves. All of my father’s children are my brothers. What you do to the least of them you do onto me. Do nothing to them that you would not do to me.


CNN Commentator: In the past God had agreed to the eye for an eye philosophy. Say the USA suffers another terrorist attack. What would be your reaction? Would you seek revenge?

Jesus: I have been sent to light a new way. A way of Love not hate, forgiveness not revenge, tolerance not judgment. I have said, "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.


CNN Commentator: So you never advocate violence?

Jesus: Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. Defense in the name of love alone can be condoned without regret. The benefit of violence can not be wealth or power.


CNN Commentator: So you would not have retaliated for 9/11?

Jesus: No brother, I can not condemn so many for the acts of so few.

Comments

Anonymous said…
CNN Commentator: If we give our tax money to the gov't and they continue to fritter it away on unjust wars and political "perks" do you still believe that it is right to entrust our hardearned cash to this political institution?
Lord of Logic said…
The context of this post was to find references to what Jesus, or in lack of his own opinion the bible, would say about a subject. Based upon the best I could find his answer would have been something as follows. I do not buy into it whole heatedly, but staying from the spirit of my original posts is why so many end up so long. I do kind of understand the need to work with in the system.

Jesus: Once, just as you do now, the Pharisees brother commentator, tried to trap me in my own words. I asked to be shown the coin used to pay taxes. It had a picture of Cesar on it. I asked whose inscription and they told me Cesar’s.
Imprinted on every dollar is the face and words of mortal leaders. Some good and great with out question, others who my father may judge more harshly. Imprinted on the heart of every man is my fathers image. His words imprint inscribed upon their soul. As I said then I say now, “Give to Cesar what is Cesar’s. Give to God what is God’s.”